Many of our patients are comfortable with massage therapy and physiotherapy, but tend to shy away from acupuncture as a form of treatment. Granted, the thought of inserting needles into the body can sound a little bit daunting, but this old form of Chinese medicine can work wonders for some people. We find most of our patients find relief from their symptoms over the course of several sessions, and that they are able to maintain their positive results for a good length of time.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a safe treatment that works effectively to alleviate pain, without the use of traditional medications. It targets specific points along the body that correlate with your injury or areas of concern. Your practitioner will insert a number of very fine needles under the skin, and will leave them there for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. In some cases, the needles will be manipulated for further stimulation. The needles are single use and are disposed of after every session to ensure safety and health standards are maintained. Acupuncture is believed to increase blood flow and improve the level of healthy endorphins in the brain, thus creating natural pain relief.
Is Acupuncture Painful?
Some patients feel a slight prick or burning sensation. Others aren’t bothered by it at all. We even have patients who fall asleep during treatment! Each person has different sensitivity levels and we aim to be respectful of each individual and their specific needs. The first session is usually the hardest one to overcome. After that, patients know what to expect and feel a little bit more comfortable and relaxed as the session begins.
When Can I Expect to See Results?
While some patients experience improvement in just a session or two, longer term results generally take several weeks or even months to achieve. It may be beneficial for some to continue with regular acupuncture treatments to maintain their improved outcomes.
What Can You Treat with Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a very versatile practice. It can be used to treat the entire body for a great number of different problems.
- Sports Injuries: Acupuncture can help with overuse or acute pain from sports like biking, running and tennis
- Chronic Pain: Those who suffer chronic pain from vehicular accidents, post-surgical pain, slip and fall injuries can benefit from treatment and limit their use of prescription medications
- Arthritis: Acupuncture can be very effective in treating the inflammatory pain of the joints or spine
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Regular sessions can often bring relief from painful symptoms without the use of harmful medications and their lingering side effects
- Migraine Headaches and Stress Headaches: Acupuncture can alleviate the “rebound headache” that often accompanies overuse of pain medications in headache sufferers by providing natural treatment and lasting results without the need for prescription or over-the-counter pain relievers
- Insomnia: Improved ability to fall asleep and stay asleep can be achieved through acupuncture without the use of sleep aids
- Menstrual Pain: Those who suffer from challenging menstrual symptoms can benefit from treatment to relieve symptoms and ease discomfort
Our clinic offers a comprehensive selection of treatment options that can help you feel your best. Many of our practices work together for a holistic experience that will get you on the road to recovery. We provide physiotherapy, massage therapy, chiropractic care and acupuncture all under one roof and we work together to develop a unified treatment plan that is unique to you and your needs. Our team is comprised of trained and experienced professionals who are all certified in their field, and have the knowledge and ability to guide you back to good health. If you’re in pain, give us a call – we can help!